Wednesday, June 8, 2011

T-Rex Cake

Thank God for helping me through this cake and also for safe delivery too.  I was so stressed out as i'm packing to move and i can't find most of my decorating tools cos they are either in boxes or over at my new place.  So i really had to make do with whatever i had on hand.  I thought our move was postponed so i took this assignment, but after my husband told me that we are moving soon.  Not fun to have so many things going at the same time. 

Many thanks to Paul Joachim of Art Edibles for advising me on the cake structure.   I learnt a lot about cake structure working on this cake. If i were to do it again, i will do it slightly different..using a stronger structure. 

This cake was a family affair..LOL! My husband helped me out with the structure - sawing and drilling.  He doesn't trust me with any of the powertools.  My daughter is having her vasity hols now so she helped me with moulding the facial features, feet, arms, teeth, eyeballs and also for calculating the proportional measurement..:)

I had so much fun airbrushing..that was the fun part!! :D  Not so fun after when there's color everywhere on the floor..wall, etc. LOL!  I'll totally do this again just for the airbrushing part. :p

Oh..during the delivery, the upper lip of the T-rex was dented slightly..and after touch up the t-rex looked like it had gotten into a fight with a bruised upper lip!  




Feet moulded by my daughter. Close up of chocolate fossil bones. 


My cake against my kitchen backdrop. This is my last cake in this kitchen.

14 comments:

Amelia said...

OMG, the T-Rex looks so real. 2 thumbs up, you are so talented.

Janine said...

Wow the T-Rex looks really cute and the feet and all the details are crazy! I can't imagine how much effort you put in!

And good luck with the move!

SweetThingsTO said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! This cake is absolutely amazing - everything about it!

faithy said...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments!

Unknown said...

That's amazing! Great job on the carving and the feet are so real looking!

Priscilla said...

Oh wow this is a great cake!! I have never air-brused before although I bought one at christmas! I wondered if you have to use the special air paints. You did a great job! Thank you for your well wishes ;)

Priscilla x

^cherie said...

AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGG faithy!! REALLY!!

Man, we really need to catch up. My yoga class will no longer be at City Hall come July 7th! :(

Let's go Sushi Tei again!

Jenniffer said...

Faithy this cake is AMAZING! I love it!!

evil cake lady said...

Faithy, this is absolutely stunning. You are a genius! Hope your move is going well.

Pink Little Cake said...

Stunning, Amazing!! what a talent you have!!!

SweetSugarBelle said...

This amazes me. I SURE wish you were close enough to do this for my son on his birthday!

Jane said...

Faithy, this is absolutely incredible. Seriously!! You are a uniquely talented cake artist--very, very talented!

PiaMarianne said...

I saw this one a while ago, but never came round to comment - now i just stumbled over it again and my excitement is just as big as first time i saw it - i´m still totally in love with this guy! Just look at the expression! Amazing work, i´m so impressed!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Fantastic! Your T-Rex cake reminds me of the show Cake Boss. You can be the Cake Boss Lady!