Monday, March 28, 2011

Princess & Pirate Castle Cake

Many Many thanks to my friend Angela of Sweet-Tooth-Fairy for lead again and for hearing me rant about the trouble i had with this cake and all..and also for the cupcake boxes she gave me. Those were life savers..otherwise i won't know how to transport the 30 cupcakes. :)   If it weren't for her i won't have made it..she's always the one encouraging me to take on the challenge and i am the type that want to take things easy..(esp. when it's suppose to be a hobby right?)..hahaha... So how to say no to a wonderful friend who even provided me with cupcake boxes! 

Set up the cake at the venue, hence the poor lighting for photo.  

Inspiration from Sarah's castle cake ( www.flickr.com/photos/crazycakes-eu/4723338211/ ) and BCakeNY's pirate & princess cake ( www.flickr.com/photos/bcakeny/3504688597/ )

I had lots of problem with this cake..took me ages to finish and i was practically pulling my hair out!  This is the first time I'm using Satin Ice fondant and it's sooo hard and dry.. i had a hard time rolling it out.  But i've heard some had great reviews of it.  So i'm not sure the ones i had were just off or lousy batch.  Covering the 11" x 4" square cake was a really tough job..took me 1.5 hours to get it covered...i covered it a total of 4-5x (i lost count even!) and even so, the last time i tried wasn't even great..i still had cracks but i had to move on.  However, Angela's client was very happy...so all the effort is worth it in the end. :)


cake set up at the venue

hand molded sugar princess to match the invitation card

hand molded pirate boy to match the invitation card

Look what i found and bought? Pirate candle - so suitable for this cake!

Flickering lights with cartoon cards inside the turrets so the kids peep into it. :) 

My very last min design for princess cupcakes. It just came up as i was working on it. Literally....last minute.   I thought they looked like Princess Leia from Star Wars.

Pirate cupcakes - design taken from planet cake book.


Thanks for visiting! :D  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute cake, adorable princess and i love the cupcakes

Unknown said...

I love everything you did here.
So many details you were able to capture the spirit of a princess castle for sure.Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

I love this, this is sooooo cute!! The little princess is adorable! The castle and the cupcakes all look wonderful, another amazing cake faithy!!

SweetThingsTO said...

Wonderful Faithy! I have now bookmarked this blog and look forward to your posts!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadia said...

wow! Amateur?? i dont think so?! have no idea how i only just came across your blog! i don't blog myself, but i am a sugar craft fanatic!
looking through your blog today has been very inspirational.
congratulations
i look forward to visiting again and again and again :) ♥
following all the way from Egypt :) xx

Unknown said...

This looks incredible, I love the upturned ice cream cornets as turrets (I assume that's what they are?). So pretty, I bet any little girl would go crazy for this.

Pink Little Cake said...

Everything looks amazing, the cake and the sugar figures are awesome! I love the cupcakes too.

Shanna said...

very impressive - your work looks professional to me!

Half Baked said...

So adorable! The cupcakes are the perfect addition to a great cake!

Unknown said...

I love your princess figurine, the cute little pirates & princess cupcakes, the castle with the lights inside. The whole cake is simply lovely! Gives me inspiration for another princess theme birthday cake next year. This year I did a fondant covered Barbie doll cake for my little girl. I hope next year I can try a castle cake!